Game day is here and so are the Steelers. Oakland is in dire need of a win this afternoon. Unfortunately the secondary is depleted, injuries run rampant through the roster, and Greg Knapp is still slowly killing the Raiders from the inside of the organization. So without further adieu here are the five things Dennis Allen and company need to get done.
5) Turnovers cannot happen in today’s game! Pittsburgh already has the upper hand against the Raiders. Giving the ball up is a sure fire way for giving the game up. Carson Palmer must continue to play like he has. His 300 plus passing yards in a game is a sole bright spot in this wretched offense. Palmer throwing interceptions will most likely end in a one sided Steeler victory.
4) The Raiders need to limit the three and outs! When Oakland’s time of possession resembles Warren Sapp’s 40 time somethings wrong. Shane Lechler cannot spend more time on the field then Darren McFadden or the Raider’s defense will flush this game down the drain. The key to limiting these three and outs will be converting on third down. The Raiders have been so bad on third down that I wouldn’t be surprised if Greg Knapp is contemplating quick punts.
3) The Raiders need to limit the Steelers passing game! Mike Wallace can be deadly if Oakland’s secondary allows him to run rampant. More importantly is shutting down Antonio Brown. Of course the Raiders will put a large amount of focus on the Steeler’s deep threat. However, Oakland will have to watch out for Antonio Brown and the other receiving threats on the team. Playing lazy football and allowing players like Brown or Heath Miller to get open will cost Oakland the game.
2) Darren McFadden needs to overcome Greg Knapp! The Raiders will need to be able to run the ball today. Every great passing team is made great by the constant threat of a capable running back in the backfield. McFadden is much more then capable, and despite playing in a flawed system he will have to find a way to adjust and improvise.
1) Greg Knapp needs to dissappear! Get used to seeing this every Sunday morning. Until Greg Knapp leaves this organization losing will become expected. As much as this franchise has suffered in the last decade the Raider Nation will have to push through and deal with at least one more rebuilding season.
The Raiders march onto the football field facing almost certain failure. The one factor that works in Oakland’s favor is the unpredictability and craziness of a hopeless team.
P.S. Watch for Brandon Meyers to have a big day today. Also watch for former Raider Demarcus Van Dyke. The new found Steeler will be out to get revenge on his former team.