This NFL offseason has been more like Cops and less like Hard Knocks as NFL players keep appearing on police blotter after police blotter. 27, yes that is right twenty seven, NFL players have been arrested since January 1st giving this NFL offseason another pile of arrests for those who call out the negative reputations on football players to point out.
Three of those arrests were harmless marijuana possession arrests, but the rest have all fallen in to the guns, booze, and violence category as the stereotype of athletes as being pot smoking, drunk driving wife beaters has not been helped during the offseason.
Titus Young was arrested on a DUI. He then was arrested that same night for trying to break into the impound to steal back his car. He one upped himself that week by being arrested for burglary less than seven days after his two arrests.
Other arrests have included Chad Johnson’s domestic abuse and lawyer ass tapping embarrassment, a slew of assault, child abuse, and violence related crimes along with the marijuana and DUI offenses.
Pacman Jones of course joined the party, allegedly punching a woman in the nose outside of a Cincinnati nightclub.
It is apparent that the culture of football players is creating some of these arrests when you look at what happens with football players on major college campuses across the United States. Aaron Hernandez issues at Florida and signs of poor judgement and character are right out in the open now as the entire world focuses on the investigation of three murders that may or may not have involved the Patriots star.
This case once again goes to show that this type of situation happens in every NFL city and that this is a league wide problem that is likely never going to go away. People get arrested in all walks of life and a league that employs more athletes than any other league is of course there is going to be more arrests by simple math, but the nature of these arrests show there is a widespread problem that the NFL needs to tackle. At the moment it it looks like there is no solution to the problem.
- Michael Boley, New York Giants (Feb. 8):Arrested for child abuse in Alabama.
- Da’Quan Bowers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Feb. 18):Arrested for having a gun in his luggage at LaGuardia Airport, charges later reduced to disorderly conduct.
- Al Netter, San Francisco 49ers (Feb. 22):Arrested for DUI in California.
- Desmond Bryant, Cleveland Browns (Feb. 24):Arrested for criminal mischief in Miami.
- J’Marcus Webb, Chicago Bears (Feb. 24):Arrested for marijuana possession in Illinois, charges dropped.
- Javarris Lee, Arizona Cardinals (March 7):Arrested for failing to appear in court in Florida.
- Quinton Carter, Denver Broncos (March 9):Arrested for allegedly cheating at craps at a Vegas casino, case dismissed.
- Cody Grimm, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (March 10 and May 28):Arrested for public intoxication in Virginia twice.
- Evan Rodriguez, Chicago Bears (March 21 and May 31):Arrested for resisting an officer in Miami (charged later dropped), and then for DUI, speeding and “improper lane usage.”
- Trumaine Johnson, St. Louis Rams (March 22):Arrested for misdemeanor DUI in Montana.
- Brandon Barden, Tennessee Titans (March 23):Arrested on suspicion of DUI after driving his car off the road in Georgia.
- Amari Spivey, Detroit Lions (March 27):Arrested for third-degree assault in an alleged domestic violence incident involving his girlfriend in Connecticut.
- William Moore, Atlanta Falcons (April 18):Arrested for simple battery after allegedly grabbing a woman by the shoulder in Atlanta.
- Rolando McClain, Baltimore Ravens (April 22):Arrested for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest in Alabama.
- Ronnell Lewis, Detroit Lions (April 23): Arrested for getting in a bar fight in Oklahoma.
- Quentin Groves, Cleveland Browns (April 24):Arrested for solicitation in a prostitution sting in Ohio.
- Cliff Harris, New York Jets (May 2):Arrested for marijuana possession in New Jersey.
- Claude Davis, New York Jets (May 2):Arrested for marijuana possession in New Jersey.
- Daryl Washington, Arizona Cardinals (May 3):Arrested for aggravated assault after an alleged domestic violence incident with his ex-girlfriend.
- Armonty Bryant, Cleveland Browns (May 6): Arrested for DUI in Oklahoma.
- Titus Young, free agent (May 5, twice, and May 10):Arrested on suspicion of DUI, and then arrested again on the same day for trying to steal his own car from the tow yard. Arrested less than a week later for burglary.
- Mike Goodson, New York Jets (May 17):Arrested on drug and gun charges in New Jersey.
- Joe Morgan, New Orleans Saints (May 29):Arrested for DWI in Louisiana.
- Pacman Jones, Cincinnati Bengals (June 11):Arrested on an assault charge for allegedly punching a woman outside a club in Cincinnati.
- Jason Peters, Philadelphia Eagles (June 12):Arrested for street racing and leading police on a high-speed chase.
- Aaron Hernandez, New England Patriots (June 26):Arrested for murder and five gun-related charges in Massachusetts.
- Ausar Walcott, Cleveland Browns (June 26):Arrested for attempted murder after punching a man outside a club in New Jersey.