The Raiders have just announced that they have signed veteran kicker Sebastian Janikowski to a four year 15.2 million dollar contract extension. This bodes well for the team as Janikowski is regarded as one of, if not, the best kickers in all of football. Janikowski has been with the team his entire career as he was drafted number one in 2000 out of Florida State.
Some of his career highlights include:
- Longest field goal: 63 yards (tied with three other kickers)
- Longest field goal in overtime: 57 yards
- Most field goals in one quarter: 4
- Most field goals of 60 yards or more in a career: 2
- Most field goals attempted of 60 or more yards in a career: 8
- Most field goals of 50 yards or more in one game: 3
- Most extra points in a Pro Bowl: 8
- Longest attempted field goal: 76 yards
Though the Raiders have played some bad football the last ten years, Janikowski has remained a staple of consistency in that time and has been clutch when called upon. He went 31-34 last year. This looks like another great move by the new regime, keeping a true weapon like Seabass is a step in the right direction. Considering that Janikowski has seen a multitude of head coaches in those 14 years, it says a lot about his desire to remain a Raider for the rest of his career.