IT’S ABOUT TIME!
In what can only be called long overdue, the Pro Football Hall of Fame has selected Ray Guy to be nominated to the senior committee. The senior committee nomination is special as it is rarely declined and the nominee(s) are always sure to get in. This is great news for Ray Guy and also for future punters like former Raiders punter Shane Lechler . This also bodes well for the Raiders as it will mark the 22nd player to enter as a Raider. I am sure if Al Davis were still alive, he would be at Canton next year inducting his tenth player into the Hall. In abscense of Al Davis, I would venture to say that maybe John Madden would be his presenter. It would be awesome as a Raiders fan to see next years inductees include Tim Brown and Ray Guy.
Guy is considered by many as the greatest punter of all time. The term ‘hang time’ was a term that was developed for Ray when he played for the Raiders(1973-1986). Along with his three Super Bowl rings, Ray Guy has the distinction of being the first true punter to ever be drafted in the first round (1973). Many current punters consider Guy an inspiration to them and a reason as to why they came into the league. This is true of current Raiders punter Chris Kluwe. Last year, Kluwe was fined by the league for lobbying his support for Guy on his uniform . I guess Kluwe’s gesture has paid off and his fine was well worth it..
Some of Guys highlights include:
- Played in 207 consecutive games
- Punted 1,049 times for 44,493 yards, averaging 42.4 yards per punt, with a 33.8 net yards average
- Had 210 punts inside the 20 yard line (not counting his first 3 seasons, when the NFL did not keep track of this stat), with just 128 touchbacks
- Led the NFL in punting three times
- Had a streak of 619 consecutive punts before having one blocked
- Has a record of 111 career punts in post season games
- Had five punts of over 60 yards during the 1981 season
- The Ray Guy Award is named after him and is presented every year to the nations best collegiate punter
As I mentioned in my previous piece, The Hall Needs More Pirates, I encourage all of Raider Nation to let the HOF selection committee know that they need more Raiders in the Hall and that this is long overdue.