Skip to main content

Klint Kubiak sent a warning shot to Raiders' WR group after Texans game

Message received!
Las Vegas Raiders HC Klint Kubiak
Las Vegas Raiders HC Klint Kubiak | IMAGN IMAGES via Reuters Connect

If Las Vegas Raiders fans could file a complaint with Klint Kubiak and John Spytek for the work that they did this offseason, it is safe to say that most would harp on the team's neglect to add a true No. 1 wide receiver. It was a talking point throughout free agency in the draft, and it came up again at camp.

After two preseason games, Raider Nation doesn't exactly feel any better about the room, even if reps have been limited and the unit has made some splash plays. Clearly, Kubiak isn't impressed with what the group has done, as he sent them a warning shot after preseason Week 2.

"Yeah, I learned a lot in that we have to get a lot better very fast," Kubiak said of the wide receiver room to reporters. "That we took a step backwards; doesn't mean we can't go forward. But right now, we are trying to find someone that is accountable and can help us on Sunday. Still looking."

Ouch.

Klint Kubiak issues a major challenge for the Raiders' WR corps

The Raiders proved that they were "still looking" when they signed veteran wideout Noah Brown last week at the expense of a defensive tackle. With Dont'e Thornton Jr. sidelined by injury, Las Vegas may have wanted another body at the position, but that move still didn't signal great things.

Tre Tucker looked good in the preseason opener, and Jack Bech got some good run in with both the first- and second-team offenses. And Tucker was rewarded by getting to sit with the rest of the presumed starters during Thursday's game against the Houston Texans. Everyone else played.

Yes, that includes Bech, who went 16 snaps without appearing on the screen, and big free agent signing Jalen Nailor, who surprisingly logged 13 snaps with 20 of the Raiders' likely Week 1 starters sitting on the bench. That, more than anything, sent a message.

But Kubiak's words were also a bit harsh and out of character for him, as he doesn't make a habit out of calling his players out. Without reading too far into things, the first-year head coach must be quite disappointed in the group's efforts thus far, as nobody is standing out, besides Tucker, apparently.

If the Silver and Black can stay healthy, then all they really need is one more wideout to be an impactful player. The Raiders can rely on 12-personnel and feature Brock Bowers and Michael Mayer while running the air out of the football and leaning on Ashton Jeanty and Mike Washington Jr.

That said, Tucker will be a free agent next offseason, and everyone else that will or is close to making this team is under contract for next year (Nailor, Bech, Thornton Jr., Benson). It matters for the future, too, if none of these players step up and prove worthy of a role.

Kubiak has warned his young receiver group that what they're putting out there isn't cutting it. Let's see how they respond.

Add us as a preferred source on Google

Loading recommendations... Please wait while we load personalized content recommendations