Amari Cooper is a Superstar
A lot of that talk this offseason as well. He will be – and is close. But he’s still showing some of the same issues that plagued him during his rookie season. He’s not there yet, and it’s time to pump the brakes.
Two things that have been concerning this preseason: he’s dropped two passes, and he doesn’t seem in sync with Derek Carr yet despite all their offseason work.
Cooper also quit on his route during Carr’s ill-advised interception against the Packers. Carr has routinely talked about how much he trusts Cooper and can just throw it up and he’ll go get it. Well thus far this preseason he’s either dropped it – or hasn’t made an effort to chase the ball down.
More from Las Vegas Raiders News
- Raiders news: Free agent TE Foster Moreau diagnosed with cancer
- Las Vegas Raiders: 2023 NFL Draft will make-or-break David Ziegler Era
- Raiders news: Jimmy Garoppolo offered a different kind of deal
- Raiders 2023 NFL Draft: Trading down for an elite DT on Day 1
- Raiders 2023 NFL Draft: Will David Ziegler trade his top-2 picks again?
Again, preseason must be taken as it is but when the same problems continue it’s not a preseason thing – and it’s not an isolated incident. It’s a trend that can become a concern if it continues. Cooper has the tools, drive, size, speed and smarts to be a superstar, but despite all the offseason anointing is not there yet. A couple of big plays and maybe a TD catch tonight would go a long way to pointing him back in the right direction.
Next: Knockdowns - Raiders May Stay in Oakland