Position Battle – Right Tackle
Menelik Watson has had a rough go with injuries, but when he has been able to stay on the field, he’s been a very effective right tackle. The coaching staff loves his athleticism and work ethic, and he’s been getting the majority of first-team reps during training camp thus far. He’s shown versatility by switching to left tackle when asked – Donald Penn doesn’t really have an official backup as of yet – and he’s been playing quite well by all accounts.
More from Just Blog Baby
- Raiders news: Free agent TE Foster Moreau diagnosed with cancer
- Order your Jimmy Garoppolo Las Vegas Raiders gear now
- Las Vegas Raiders: 2023 NFL Draft will make-or-break David Ziegler Era
- Raiders news: Jimmy Garoppolo offered a different kind of deal
- Raiders 2023 NFL Draft: Trading down for an elite DT on Day 1
Per Scott Bair of CSN Bay Area, Watson showed quite well in the third practice, even getting the better of the unstoppable Mack in one-on-one drills. Watson has a rare combination of speed, power, and size for a tackle and that’s why the Raiders have pushed so hard to get him on the field.
Howard is a quality player who showed well at right tackle last season, but Watson is younger, bigger, and more athletic. Finally healthy, he’s showing the movement and power the Raiders envisioned when they selected him in the 2nd round and seems to be the early favourite to start at right tackle.
Next: Position Battle - Slot Corner